Sometimes I wonder if my inner fat girl pheromones attracted the Boo to me. I mean somewhere up there God had to be thinking “This girl can put the food AWAY. I should probably set her up with a sufficient enabler.”
Er…I mean chef.
You see, I’ve mentioned before that my man can cook however, I don’t think many of you grasp the gravity of that statement. HE. CAN . COOK. (On his own. Without a recipe, measuring cup or assistance in sight. Without making a mess in the kitchen. Ok that’s a lie. He makes a HUGE mess. But it’s always worth it.)
As a sous chef in his previous job the Boo created some amazing nightly specials for an upscale Italian restaurant in our hometown. Since we’re moving and uncovering treasure troves of old shit we recently found an old notebook containing pages and pages of some of his creations during his tenure. In an effort to consolidate trash and rid ourselves of unnecessary luggage, he asked me to transpose the contents of his portfolio into a Word document so we could keep them and toss the notebook.
Now, like I’ve said, I always knew the guy could cook, but I’ll be damned if I wasn’t a bit surprised and impressed with some of the dishes I found myself sifting through.
Here’s just a sample of some of his dishes so you can get a feel for what I’m working with…
- Sesame crusted Ahi tuna with tomato coulis and avocado sauce
- Lobster strudel with boursin and shitake finished with a boursin cream sauce
- Rosemary skewered salmon with wild mushroom and mixed green salad tossed in a citrus vinaigrette (skewered on fresh rosemary stems)
- Pineapple-sake glazed oysters accompanied by ginger sautéed vegetables and sticky rice
- Champagne poached oysters accompanied by baby artichoke and smoked bacon salad topped with Tobiko caviar
- Sundried tomato crusted scallops served with a warm wild mushroom and arugula salad topped with crumbled goat cheese
- Oriental duck salad tossed with spring mix, mandarin oranges, and snow peas in a honey-ginger vinaigrette topped with crispy wontons
- Pan roasted sea scallops served over seared foie gras drizzled with a cranberry-balsamic reduction
- Crab stuffed flounder roulade with sticky rice and a mango burre blanc
- Pecan crusted rack of lamb, wild mushroom sauté with truffled sweet potatoes finished with a red wine-bourbon reduction
- Pecan crusted grouper accompanied by cinnamon raisin rice pilaf finished with a lemon-thyme burre blanc
- Grilled halibut accompanied by pecan couscous, vanilla glazed white asparagus finished in a chardonnay butter sauce
- Curried coconut crusted Mahi Mahi accompanied by Basmati rice cakes drizzled with a cucumber yogurt sauce
- Herb-crusted pork loin accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes and parmesan roasted fennel finished with a rosemary-mustard sauce
See what I mean?? He’s like my very own Tom Collichio.
And if that’s not enough to make me wanna nail the guy (down) then I don’t know what is.