Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Search for the Perfect Venue: Part 3

So when we last left off the Boo and I had checked out a small hotel and a big hotel and weren’t too thrilled with either. Next up was the venue we actually ended up picking but, of course, for the sake of suspense I have to skip that one and move along to the fourth and final venue, Rain Tree Country Club.

(Public Service Announcement: I believe I’ve found the problem behind my posts not showing up in Google Reader after they’re posted. It’s because of all the pictures!! Lame I know…but we’re gonna try this one with links instead of pics and see how that works.)

So on this particular day it wasn’t raining (for once) but instead was extremely windy. Like gail force, hurricane, Twister starring Helen Hunt big. It was bad. So bad we almost didn’t go because our poor car was getting whipped all across the interstate like a limp twizzler but alas, we braved the winds and arrived for our appointment.

We walked up through the main entrance of the club and were blasted with an extremely pungent, nursing home-ish smell. There was mustard yellow carpet, plastic yellow gold chandeliers overhead, and rows of pictures of old men in tiny red hats lining the walls of the foyer.

“Are you serious?” I whispered to the Boo with a not so subtle facial expression. One whiff and we shoulda known.

Our consultant was extremely nice but evidently very pressed for time. She bounced us from room to room showing us where our indoor ceremony would take place (even after we’d told her we wanted an outdoor ceremony) and how the cocktail hour and reception would take place (right off the room full of old dudes and pukey carpet.)

Just like Mr. Wig before her she had whisked us around the entire building and gone through her whole spiel in under 20 minutes. Even after I mentioned (for the fourth time) that we wanted to have our ceremony outdoors, our consultant referenced the green on the golf course where we could have our nuptials and even after promising to show it to us never did.

All in all I knew it wasn’t for us before her tour was even over but I think what really sealed the deal for me was the fact that immediately following her perfectly memorized speech she asked if we had any questions, waited exactly 1.6 seconds and said “Ok, well I’m really good about answering emails so I’ll let you go now and if you think of any just email me.”

Ummmm ok??

However, in the effort of being fair I must admit that we probably didn’t give this one as much of a shot as we should have. Our minds had already been made up the day before when we visited our dream venue and decided that we were in love.

Up next, the big reveal – where we chose to say I Do!

Anyone ever visit other venues even after you knew you’d found the one?

2 comments:

Mary Elizabeth said...

I am planning a wedding as well. I am glad to see I am not the only one having these types of problems. It is a time full of joy, but if you are like me at all, I sometimes want to scream! =) Have a great day!

LWLH said...

I can't wait to get to PA and actually get into the nitty gritty of planning but I do not look forward to times like this.


Premade Design by Delicious Design Studio